NATION

PASSWORD

Alternatives to Abortion

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

Founded: Feb 21, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:41 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Lancaster of Wessex wrote:
I don't smile upon irresponsibility too highly and to take away a potential life just because one didn't bother to stick a condom on their dick or take a birth control pill...that doesn't sit too well with me.

Each sperm is a potential life, each egg is a potential life.

Not on their own they're not.
Lancaster.
Duke of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Lancaster of Wessex

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

Founded: Feb 21, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:43 pm

@ Great Nepal:

Why should taxpayer be forced to bear additional burden when abortion is a lot more cost effective?

You stated this.

You also stated that "nobody is putting a price tag on human life."

Well, you just did.
Lancaster.
Duke of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Lancaster of Wessex

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

Zilam
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Zilam » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:44 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Zilam wrote: helping pregnant women carry their baby to birth, and providing them with the resources to meet the needs of that baby after it is born.

Why should taxpayer be forced to bear additional burden when abortion is a lot more cost effective?

Around 44% decided to have one done out of convenience, whether its because they want to wait, they are in school, or they simply don't want to have any more children. To me, this is really irresponsible. Anytime you have sex, there is a chance for pregnancy. When you have sex, you need to realize that. That is why condoms, spermicide and birth control are out on the market. I realize that some people are prevented from getting access to these. We know that needs to change. But I really hate that people cannot accept responsibility for their actions, and take the easy way out of something they have done. Part of being an adult is taking responsibility for something that one has done.

Anytime you go out to a ground for almost any game, you have a chance that you are going to be seriously injured. So say if that happens, should we say "take responsibility for your action" or should we take you to hospital?
Seriously, the fetus has no right to enslave a woman. If she doesn't want the baby, which at the moment is still part of her body, she should be able to terminate it. Her body her choice.

And why doesn't a proto-human have a chance to live. It didn't asked to be conceived. Why should it not have the right to face life because its mother said it shouldn't live? 9 months isn't anything compared to the 72 years of life.
I'm not who I was.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:45 pm

Great Nepal wrote:Each sperm is a potential life, each egg is a potential life.

Not on their own they're not.

A fetus on its own (without a host) is also not a potential life. (well atleast up to a point when it is possible but risky to put it in kind of machine)
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:45 pm

Dyakovo wrote:4: Abortion is not murder.

Millions, if not billions of people disagree with you.

And millions more will agree with you also.

You can't say you're right; and they can't say they're right either.

You'll have to agree to disagree.

Actually I can say I'm right, since I know what the word actually means. Murder is a very specific legal term.
Abortion fails to qualify as murder on several counts...
1: For a killing to be murder it has to be illegal.
2: For a killing it has to include malice aforethought. i.e. it has to be premeditated and done with the intention of killing another person.
3: For it to be murder a person would have to be killed. This does not happen in an abortion.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:45 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Zilam wrote: helping pregnant women carry their baby to birth, and providing them with the resources to meet the needs of that baby after it is born.

Around 44% decided to have one done out of convenience, whether its because they want to wait, they are in school, or they simply don't want to have any more children. To me, this is really irresponsible. Anytime you have sex, there is a chance for pregnancy. When you have sex, you need to realize that. That is why condoms, spermicide and birth control are out on the market. I realize that some people are prevented from getting access to these. We know that needs to change. But I really hate that people cannot accept responsibility for their actions, and take the easy way out of something they have done. Part of being an adult is taking responsibility for something that one has done.

Anytime you go out to a ground for almost any game, you have a chance that you are going to be seriously injured. So say if that happens, should we say "take responsibility for your action" or should we take you to hospital?
Seriously, the fetus has no right to enslave a woman. If she doesn't want the baby, which at the moment is still part of her body, she should be able to terminate it. Her body her choice.

Wow, that is...just messed up.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:46 pm

Augarundus wrote:Abortion is, logically, murder.

Wrong
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:47 pm

Lancaster of Wessex wrote:@ Great Nepal:

You stated this.

You also stated that "nobody is putting a price tag on human life."

Well, you just did.

I think I was putting price on a FETUS (which is nice way of saying a cell which sucks the resources off a host body for its own growth).
Last edited by Great Nepal on Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:47 pm

Zilam wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Except it is ignoring the fact that abortions are sometimes necessary to save the life of the pregnant woman...

No, I recognize that and have addressed it already. However, lets be honest shall we? 6% of abortions are done for medical reasons and 1% are due to violent sexual cases. These are the two most common reasons people think abortion should stay legal and be funded properly and all that. The rest of the reasons deal largely with two other reasons:

the woman feels they don't have the resources to provide for a child
OR
convenience for the woman.

(sources found in at the bottom of here

So while 7% of abortions happen because of rape/incest or possibility of injury or death, 21% happen because the women feel they cannot afford to carry a baby. That is why I posted what I did about just one place that has been open for almost 20 years now, helping pregnant women carry their baby to birth, and providing them with the resources to meet the needs of that baby after it is born.

Consent to sex does not equal consent to pregnancy.
Married to Koshka

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:48 pm

The Murtunian Tribes wrote:
Augarundus wrote:
Might =/= Right.

Abortion is, logically, murder. The entire "proof" that abortion is morally justifiable is based off of the premise that a majority vote (i.e. sociological perceptions) change the reality of human life.

Agreed. Abortion is murder, and is wrong. But as I stated before, right and wrong do not equal legal or illegal. Government itself is wrong, but it is necessary.

Wrong, as I have already pointed out.
Married to Koshka

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:50 pm

Zilam wrote:And why doesn't a proto-human have a chance to live. It didn't asked to be conceived. Why should it not have the right to face life because its mother said it shouldn't live? 9 months isn't anything compared to the 72 years of life.

Because it is still a parasite and part of a host body which has every right not be enslaved?
If it can survive outside a mother's body, the fine. If not she should be forced to carry the fetus which constantly sucks up resources from her body against her will.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:52 pm

Great Nepal wrote:Why should taxpayer be forced to bear additional burden when abortion is a lot more cost effective?

which part is messed up?

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:54 pm

Great Nepal wrote:

which part is messed up?

The part about being enslaved to a fetus. But I have no interest in this dicussion. It's not going to go anywhere good.

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:56 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Agreed. Abortion is murder, and is wrong. But as I stated before, right and wrong do not equal legal or illegal. Government itself is wrong, but it is necessary.

Wrong, as I have already pointed out.

Fine. Abortion is not murder, if you want to be that way about it. That doesn't legitimize it.

Gagatron
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Gagatron » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:00 pm

I see no reason to allow a selfish woman to deprive another human being of its life just so she won't need to deal with it.
God, I want to dream again,
Take me where I've never been.
I wanna go there,
This time I'm not scared.
Music, love, peace, joy, history, religion, foreign cultures, foreign language, philosophy, debating, etc.

Zilam wrote:It always strikes me funny when people always complain "If God is good, why does he allow evil to exist"....Yet when God destroys every evil person in a flood, its a bad thing.

All sin is deserving of death.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:01 pm

Gagatron wrote:I see no reason to allow a selfish woman to deprive another human being of its life just so she won't need to deal with it.

I see no reason to allow a fetus to suck resources out of woman and enslave her against her will just so it can survive.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:03 pm

Gagatron wrote:I see no reason to allow a selfish woman to deprive another human being of its life just so she won't need to deal with it.

So according to you women are just walking talking incubators?
Married to Koshka

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:05 pm

Dyakovo wrote:Wrong, as I have already pointed out.

Fine. Abortion is not murder, if you want to be that way about it.

I do. Funny thing, I prefer words to be used according to their actual meaning...
The Murtunian Tribes wrote:That doesn't legitimize it.

No, it being a legitimate medical procedure legitimizes it.
Married to Koshka

DASHES
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby DASHES » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:06 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
DASHES wrote:So if contraception fails, give the baby to someone in the parents' family. Its better than murder.

If it was so easy to get someone willing to adopt a child, why the hell are 134,000 waiting to get adopted?
Handing the baby to the state is also better than murder, but since the foster care system is so crappy,

Why the hell should taxpayer pay for the child?

there are better options, like taking care of what you created by taking care of the baby.

Yea cos woman and her family's right is irrelevant and should be enslaved by the baby which they dont want.

Rape however, is an entirely different context but still the same problem. Orphanages seem decent, but the mother should be keen on find a good one, and coming back to the orphanage from time to time to see how the kid(s) is(are) doing.

See above.

Murder is never justifiable, even if the state permits it for people under age 9 Months. Do somethingother than abortion.

Murder = Killing a Human Being
Abortion = Removing a unwanted organism which feeds on foreign body which gives nothing useful back to host.

Organism which feeds on foreign body which gives nothing useful back to host = Parasite

The only reason it is no longer a crime is because the world is slowly loosing its morality.

1. Removing a parasite from body is immoral?
2. Define Moral.

1. I never said that finding a suitable adopter was easy. I'm saying that the couple who has an unwanted pregnancy should look into their own families for suitable parent before anything else. Who knows? Maybe one of them has a sister who married a sterile guy, and they might want a baby. Can you think of a better refuge for the unwanted child?

2. Why should the Taxpayer pay for the child? Why should the working man's taxes go to thousands of Orphanages and Foster Homes housing many thousands of children? Think about it. These places have given inconvenienced women and their children a shot at living their lives. If these places were never constructed countless more babies would have been aborted, many more women would have died from botched abortions, and for those who did not get abortions, countless children would have been left on the street. Charities and humanitarian projects safe much human life. When the working man and woman give their money to the state to distribute to various institution like Orphanages and Foster Homes, they are supporting a charity. These places are lifesavers. That's why the Taxpayer should pay for the child.

3. Whoa, whoa. So now, if the unwitting couples hunkers down and takes care of the baby they created, they are enslaved. They would be parents, like many others, so whats the difference? After all, slavery is slavery willing or unwilling, right? Maybe you are anti-slavery, eh?
If so, lets ride the rocket to mars and eliminate all slavery by killing all fetuses and young children! Wow! According to you, there would be no more slavery! Ain't that somethin'?

4. Look, Rape is horrific and has a range of consequences. Unwanted pregnancy is often one of them, but that doesn't mean that both the unborn life and the parent should become victims of circumstance. By following my suggestions of abortion alternatives they don't have to become victims of circumstance.

5. Right, we were all parasites once. What are you going to do about it? What am I going to do about it? Nothing. You can't do anything about it. We are still parasites, as we feed on the earth's resources. In fact, our behavior is emulated by many other species as well. Hmm. What are we going to do about that? Nothing. Wait, are you anti-parasite? If so, I'm getting an interesting idea...

6. Sadly, humanity has also lost a sense of common morality, as morals have become a subjective thing that different from person to person. Unless you've got an extensive form in MS Word that I can fill out to inform you of my views of right and wrong, I'm afraid you are going to have to guess here. If it helps you, I am a Christian. Christianity is my Morality's base OS.

And as for removing a parasite from the body, I have one thing to ask you, sir: When you were still growing in your mothers belly, would you have considered it immoral if she stuck a probe in herself to force you out? You would understand; after all, since you were a parasite to her. She had a right to do it, since it was her body, and you were feeding off of her...
DASHES = Democratic Autocratic Socialist Holy Empire of Strongholds.

Need help making your Armed Forces or one of your Military units realistic?
Visit the current NS Military Realism Consultation thread immediately.
It can only help. It helped me.

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:07 pm

Great Nepal wrote:

I see no reason to allow a fetus to suck resources out of woman and enslave her against her will just so it can survive.

I think you both grossly over simplfy the issue.

DASHES
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby DASHES » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:08 pm

Great Nepal wrote:I see no reason to allow a fetus to suck resources out of woman and enslave her against her will just so it can survive.

True.
DASHES = Democratic Autocratic Socialist Holy Empire of Strongholds.

Need help making your Armed Forces or one of your Military units realistic?
Visit the current NS Military Realism Consultation thread immediately.
It can only help. It helped me.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:09 pm

Great Nepal wrote:I see no reason to allow a fetus to suck resources out of woman and enslave her against her will just so it can survive.

Hey! We can agree in this thread... :hug:
Married to Koshka

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:10 pm

Dyakovo wrote:

Hey! We can agree in this thread... :hug:

You do know I am pro-choice, right?

Idaho Conservatives
Minister

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Idaho Conservatives » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:10 pm

Great Nepal wrote:

:roll: Do you think that we are over-debating the issue here?
"Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way" --General George S. Patton

If You're A Fellow Ham, TG me!!!
KF7LCE

Gagatron
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Gagatron » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:11 pm

Here's the issue. Two irresponsible people have sex, and they can't deal with the consequences. SO what do they do? They kill the baby.

I can understand abortion after rape, but when you have sex voluntarily you need to have in mind that SPERM LIKES EGG.
God, I want to dream again,
Take me where I've never been.
I wanna go there,
This time I'm not scared.
Music, love, peace, joy, history, religion, foreign cultures, foreign language, philosophy, debating, etc.

Zilam wrote:It always strikes me funny when people always complain "If God is good, why does he allow evil to exist"....Yet when God destroys every evil person in a flood, its a bad thing.

All sin is deserving of death.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General